Once again, Trader Joe's comes to the rescue. Printed on the back of their bagged, washed and prepared arugula is this simple but fantastic recipe. If you wanted to make it a dinner salad, add some shredded grilled chicken. Otherwise, follow the recipe for a side salad that will serve - and delight - four people.
Warm Arugula and Mushroom Salad
(recipe adapted from the Trader Joe's Arugula package)
- 1 bag Trader Joe's arugula, or about 7 ounces, washed and dried
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced, (preferably baby creminis, but buttons are fine)
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts (I usually omit these because they are expensive, but they are quite nice if you have them)
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- In a saute pan over medium heat, add the olive oil and onion. Stir and cook for a few minutes, until they start to get translucent, then add the mushrooms. Stir and cook until everything is soft and fragrant.
- In a large bowl, crumble the goat cheese. Pour the onions, mushrooms and pan juices into the bowl and fold to combine the goat cheese. Add the arugula, balsamic vinegar, and pine nuts and gently toss. Serve warm.