Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Furikake Popcorn


I have a debilitating popcorn addiction.  However, after all the news reports my husband emailed me of people contracting "popcorn lung" from their 4-bag-a-day microwave popcorn habit, I don't eat as much anymore.  And now I pop it on the stove, instead of in the bag with all those weird chemicals.  Salt and butter are all I usually need, but sometimes I want something more.

Like what?  Furikake!  If you tried my recipe for Spam Musubi, you might have furikake already.  If not, it's Japanese funky flavor in a can - shredded seaweed, salt, sugar, and sesame seeds that make plain white rice a treat.  Why not use it to spice up plain popcorn?  I knew I'd need to add melted butter to give the furikake something to stick to, so I added a little more flavor - soy sauce and a pinch of sugar.  And I ate the whole batch already.  I told you I had a problem!

Furikake Popcorn

Ingredients:

  • 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (or use peanut, canola, soybean, whatever)
  • 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
  • furikake!
Directions:
  1. In a large pot with a lid, heat the oil over medium heat.  Add 3 kernels of popcorn to the oil.  
  2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, melt the butter in the microwave with the soy sauce and sugar.  Stir to combine.
  3. When the 3 kernels pop, add the rest of the corn and shake every few seconds, for about 2 minutes.  When the popping sounds stop, turn off the burner.  Shake in some furikake, replace the lid, and shake vigorously.  Pour in the butter mixture, shake again with the lid on, and then shake in more furikake and shake again.

No comments:

Post a Comment