Saturday, July 30, 2011

Granola!


One of my favorite breakfasts is yogurt and granola. I had a stash of crunchy granola bars in the cupboard, and I would bash one, still in its wrapper, with my meat tenderizer mallet until it was all crumbles, and mix it into my yogurt. All good things come to an end, however, and I ate all the granola bars before I ate up my supply of yogurt.

But all is not lost! With a quick search of the pantry, I found I had all the ingredients I needed to make a batch of homemade granola. You probably do too.

The basics you need are oats, vegetable oil, and maple syrup or brown sugar. Everything else is to your own taste. Some ingredients have more fat than others (the nuts and coconut are high in fat, but are still good for you, so don't let that dissuade you.) If you don't have wheat germ in your refrigerator, I highly recommend it. It's great for you and mixes into many recipes to contribute a sweet, nutty flavor.

This is what I used - please feel free to experiment and make a granola that your kids will like. You can eat this with yogurt (and honey and bananas and berries....) or with just a splash of milk. It's good stuff - believe it.

Homemade Granola

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups whole oats
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup almonds
  • 1/2 cup sesame seeds
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup or brown sugar
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees F. Combine oats, nuts, and other dry ingredients (EXCEPT cranberries) in a large bowl.
  2. Combine oil and maple syrup in a saucepan and simmer on low for a few minutes, stirring, just until it bubbles. Remove from heat and pour over the dry ingredients. Stir it to make sure everything is coated and damp.
  3. Spread on a foil-lined cookie sheet and bake for 60 - 90 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to ensure even toasting. Let cool, add the cranberries, and store in an airtight container.
That's it! Try adding these or other ingredients for different combos: raisins, dried cherries, dried apricots, cashews, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, or even M&Ms (when it's cooled) if you are feeling naughty.

No comments:

Post a Comment