|Cauliflower grits supporting a heap of vegetable curry|
|Cauliflower grits, au natural|
- 1 large head of cauliflower, shredded (use your food processor. If you don't have one, use a box grater, or just chop the heck out of it.)
- 1 cup almonds
- 3 cups chicken stock or vegetable broth
- 1 or 2 tablespoons of butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Shred the cauliflower. Doesn't matter if you have chunks left over, they get cooked down. Just make sure, however you cut or shred it, it gets cut down very small - this ensures a quicker and more even cook time. Add the cauliflower to a large pot with a lid. Add the chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Crush the almonds. I like it chunkier than almond meal, so it still gives you a little crunch and helps the cauliflower not just be squish. Grind them in the food processor until the pieces are the size of bread crumbs, but not all the way powdered. Add the almonds to the pot with the cauliflower and broth.
- Simmer, covered, on medium-low for about 20-30 minutes until tender. Add the butter and taste for salt and pepper. Serve under curry, gumbo, or by itself as a side dish.